Straight Hall, or Science Hall, West Hall( contrast to East Hall or Martin Hall),now Northwest District 536, originally Building 52,is located to the west of the central axis of the campus.
Straight Hall was initiated in 1925 and completed on 19 October 1928. The total expense of 250,000 yuan was jointly donated by Mrs. Willard D. Straight from the United States and Rockfeller Foundation. Right after its completion,the hall saw an academic forum attended by scientists from Britain,Japan,Java of Indonesia and other places. A special issue of Lingnan Journal of Science was published with academic papers presented in the forum.
Straight Hall was the location for College of Science of Lingnan University at the time,with the first floor used as Physics Department,the second floor as the Chemistry Department,the third floor as the Biology Department,the fourth floor as hortus siccus,and the basement as repository.During the period of Anti-Japanese War,the basement was temporarily taken as classroom to guarantee the teaching order when air raids were made by the enemy. The hall is now the location for the Department of Chemistry of School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering of Sun Yat-sen University.
Straight Hall is four-storey structured with basement.The total construction area is 3863.00㎡，and the first-floor is 870.21㎡.
Straight Hall was included in the list of preservation of Outstanding Pre-modern and Mordern Architectural Clusters by Guangzhou Urban Planning Bureau in 2000,and approved as Guangdong Cultural Relics by Guangdong Provincial Department of Culture in Auguest 2002.